Are you interested in becoming a BIRN DJ?
BIRN membership opens to all currently enrolled students of Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee, at the beginning of each semester. (That is, you can not join later in the semester). Representatives of student clubs and organizations are also welcome to join, to promote their club’s mission and activities. Read on to learn how.
Owing to our losses during the COVID closure, the BIRN will be on hiatus through the end of 2021. Membership is closed until further notice.
BIRN members sharpen their performance skills and musical knowledge by hosting weekly live radio shows, sharing their favorite music with a worldwide audience. Members also collaborate in various other activities:
- Live music recording and mixing
- Event production
- Marketing and promotion
- Music journalism
- Graphic design
- Video production
- Station operations
Here’s how it works:
- All BIRN members meet weekly. If you’re interested in joining, come to the first meeting of the semester and you’ll get all the details about the organization, our training process, and how to sign up.
- When you join, you will be assigned (based on your scheduling preferences) to a morning radio show that you will attend weekly to receive your DJ training. All new members learn to DJ on the air in small groups with an experienced trainer. The morning shows are a music & news format, and you choose the music.
- When you complete the first five weeks of training (which includes successfully performing your weekly show, attending the Monday night meetings, and completing some additional required steps), you cross a threshold after which the other BIRN activities become available to you (live recording, promotions, etc.). At that point you may either continue your morning show without your trainer for the remainder of the semester, or create an original show (alone or with co-hosts) for any available time slot.
- Once you have completed a full semester in good standing, you can return in later semesters to continue your past show, or create a new one.
- There is an optional single-credit course, MTEC-200, that you can take to receive a grade and college credit for your participation in the BIRN. The course is not required to participate.
Questions? Use the contact form below.